Tuesday, February 05, 2008

refugee on MTV

One of the refugee families we work with was featured on MTV this past Saturday. MTV is doing a series called "True Life." The series features young people in real life situations. They decided to do one on "Coming to America" and flew out to Thailand in search of a refugee with decent English who would be resettled in America. The MTV crew followed the family from their refugee camp in Thailand to Fort Worth. I'm not sure how to digitally show you the entire show, but we found a couple of deleted scenes on the internet. I currently am tutoring this guy's brothers and formerly taught ESL to his parents. They are a sweet, sweet family. One thing you won't hear on these deleted scenes is Thimonthy's desire to go to school. However, America isn't quite the dream he thought it would be. As the oldest sibling in a family of 7, Thimonthy needs to help financially support his family. Strides are being made to help him begin school at a community college. Click on this link to see pictures of the family and read a bit about their family's story.



6 comments:

Brian and Anthony said...

We saw the show on Thimonthy and his family and we would love to help provide financial assistance to help him go to school. Please let us know if we can help.

Anne and Brian Brennan
bcbrennan8@yahoo.com

Joshua & Elizabeth said...

Those are funny videos. I bet we would feel the same way about their food. :) Thanks for sharing their story with us, too bad we missed it on Saturday (did you happen to record it? :))!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea! I just wrote on my blog that I miss having interesting things to blog about, I didn't even think about blogging about my time with the refugees! ANyway, Thanks for the videos. I will take my computer to class on Monday so Eh Gay Ju can see. Unfortunately they didn't get to watch their show because they don't have MTV! Anyway, have a great day! Come visit our class anytime! They miss you!

ktkolb said...

I feel the same way as he does about some of our food!! That first video makes me want to visit Texas. I want to be a cowboy too.

Alicia said...

I saw this segment tonight and was really affected by Thimonthy and his family. I hope that things are looking up for them and that they are adjusting. I wish them the best.

Krupa said...

I worked with Hmong and Karen refugee students in St. Paul, MN this past March, and I absolutely loved watching this episode of True Life and learning about Thimonthy and his family. It reminded me so much of the Karen students I worked with, and I'm glad MTV made this episode to raise awareness about them.

I hope their lives and the lives of other refugees are improving. And I really hope the dire situation in Burma improves...

I found a site where you can donate money to Thimonthy's family if anyone is interested.

http://www.truelifethim.com/