Sunday, September 14, 2008

Baby's Room

This past week I was off of work, so I got to dive into some creativity that has been buried for over 10 years - I painted a couple of canvases for our son!

me, exercising my buried artsy side

Since I was a child, I wanted to have my own pet monkey. That never happened, but I did sleep with a stuffed monkey until our wedding day. Daniel asked ever-so-politely if he could replace the monkey. It was a sad day, but 'monkey' got retired to sit on the pillows in the guest bedroom. And, that's been his residence for the past two years. However, he's now moving into a new room in our home - the baby's room! And, along with the stuffed monkey, there had to be some other monkey decor. So, I saw some great paintings on a website, and did my best to duplicate them.

the small canvas on the shelf in the picture below


We're getting his bedding made. The stripe is his bed skirt and the paisley is the outside of his bumper. He'll have a chenille fabric that is off-white on the inside of the bumper. I love his fabric! We're hoping to have it sometime in October, so pardon the incomplete crib. Here is his bedding and his bedroom so far!

fabric for his bedding

crib and canvases

the wall opposite the crib


Stories of the monkeys:

The monkey on the shelf above the crib is one that we saw in the boutique store at the hospital on one of our visits to the midwife. Daniel bought it for his little boy. This monkey comes complete with a diaper and a pacifier!

The monkey on the shelf above the couch was my monkey growing up.

The monkey on the couch is a gift from the baby's aunt and uncle who live here in Fort Worth - they made it at "Build-a-Bear."

We will get a big mirror to put above the bookshelf and I also painted 5"x5" canvases for each letter of his name that will go on top of the bookshelf.

We'll announce his name on his birth date! Until then, there are a couple of names we refer to him as...."Tommy Chuck" or "Baba-Ganoush". "Tommy Chuck" comes from our Hispanic neighbors who came over to meet my parents and my sister and niece one weekend they were in town. Mom asked Remon, a 2nd grader, what he thought the baby's name should be. "Tommy," Remon replied. And she asked Giovani for his opinion. He replied, "Chuck." So, for the remainder of the weekend, my dad referred to our son as "Tommy Chuck." "Baba ganoush," well, Daniel named him that. :-) We must have been eating some Arab food when someone asked what his name would be. And, since Daniel is always quick on his toes, he replied, "We'll refer to him as Baba Ganoush until he's born." Baba-Ganoush is a dip Arabs dip fresh bread in. It's really good! Why our son is nick-named after a dip is beyond me...but, I like it! And Daneil came up with it. You can feel free to refer to our little one by those names as well.

9 comments:

Mysti said...

I actually had some flashbacks of high school photo albums when I saw you painting the monkey. :) His room is going to be beautiful and I LOVE the monkey!

Lauren said...

I remember the "creative Kim" from college! You're very talented! I love the room, and I love the stories behind all of it (the monkeys, the names, etc.).

By the way, our phones aren't working very well due to the hurricane, but I really do want to catch up with you. Feel free to call when you get a chance and maybe the call will go through...

Adriane said...

LOVE the monkeys! Great colors too. Can't wait to meet baby Audi!!! We miss you guys.

Anonymous said...

You look gorgeous and I love his room!! Can't wait to find out his name!!

Anonymous said...

You are SO very creative! How fun to hear about you and Daniel preparing for the new addition :)

zee

Kandy said...

I love the colors of your baby boys room and the fabric! So pretty! What a cute monkey! You must check out the newborn clothes on the gymbroee store online...they have a monkey line that looks just like your monkey! I was on their today looking at halloween costumes. I love gymbroee clothes for my boys..expecially when I shop from the clearance rack! Cute boy clothes! You look amazing and cute as a bug! Take care!

Nicole said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the monkeys all the cute stuff you are doing for Baby Boy's room! I'll bet you can't wait to meet him. You look great. Hope you and Daniel are enjoying these last few weeks!

Anonymous said...

Dan, that is so like you to nick name your son after a "dip". I couldn't stop laughing at that. Your cousin, Cass

Senegal Daily said...

It looks great. I'm sure BG will love it.