Saturday, September 24, 2005

Sovereignty and Love

Psalm 115:3
But our God is in the heavens;
He does whatever He pleases.

Is this verse a bit scary or unsettling? In some ways, it is to me. Why does it scare you and me? Beth Moore suggests that maybe this passage is unsettling is because we don't fully understand His love.

Psalm 21:7
For the king trusts in the Lord,
And through the lovingkindness of the Most High he will not be shaken.

Moore also suggests that God's sovereignty can terrify us only to the extent that we are uncertain of His love. Only to the extent that we abide in His love can we be comforted by His sovereignty.

There are areas of my life that I haven't fully trusted God with...areas in which I have dreams unfilled. His sovereignty is scary to me in that area because I don't understand why he hasn't fulfilled my hopes and dreams in that specific area. However, I have to ask myself, "Do I really trust in His love for me? Do I really trust that He is in control and cares about the details of my life? Do I really trust that He has a plan for my future?" If I did, I wouldn't be unsettled by these unfufilled dreams, rather I would be joyful in all circumstances.

How about you? Is Psalm 115:3 scary or unsettling for you? Do you KNOW the full extent of His love?

No comments: