Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Christmas Overseas

Here we are, this time last year, when I was living in Ruston with mom and dad, celebrating my first Christmas with my family in 2 years. Why is that? Because I had been living overseas for those 2 years. Today I read a friend's blog and thought I should write a bit myself about missions and the Christmas season.

While we enjoy time with family and friends and have been led into the Christmas season with 24-7 Christmas songs on the radio, Christmas trees, snowmen, santas, nativity scenes in front of people's houses, the smell of apple cider and hot chocolate, many of my friends welcome the season simply with one another. In some places there are no decorations or church plays, no lights on the houses. In some places, there are a few, but definitely nothing like here in the States. Just plain and simple - the remembrance of the Christ-child's birth. Our team lit the advent candles each week leading up to Christmas and we sang Christmas carols together when we met for house church. It seemed easier to focus on Christ when all of the other distractions weren't around.

So, this Christmas season I want to say, "THANKS!" to my friends who are still away from family this season. Fight the good fight! Finish the race! I know that although you are not celebrating with your moms and dads and relatives, God has given you another family - your co-laborers - with whom He has given you such a strong bond. May you be filled with love and joy this season as you continue to share the reason for our celebration this season: GOD, WHO LOVED US SO MUCH, THAT HE CHOSE TO COME TO EARTH - TO BE BORN OF A VIRGIN, TO LIVE A SINLESS LIFE, TO DIE AND RISE AGAIN - SO THAT WE MIGHT HAVE LIFE!

Press on, my friends. And have a Merry Christmas!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know that you don't me, but I got to your blog from another friend of a friend and just read your comments about having Christmas overseas. I just finished spending my 6th Christmas overseas and you are so right about how we celebrate it so different. It isn't about all that people in America do but simply remembering who God is. This year, I got to spend it with my national brothers and sisters and it was an amazing experience. With 10 days left in country about to head back to America for good (at least for a while!), my heart is sad, but yet God has called me to now come back to America and share the True meaning of Christmas to those who have become so apathetic. Thank you again for your encouragement, it was neat to be able to read about someone else's experience and be able to relate.