Wednesday, September 20, 2006

from "Growing Pains" to evangelism

Guess who I saw today at Southwestern Seminary's chapel service...KIRK CAMERON was the guest speaker!!! I have to admit, yes, I saw him. But, I didn't actually hear him speak. My friend Cathleen came over. We ride to work together on Wednesdays. She told me he was gonna be the speaker, and like a junior high kid, I got excited and wanted to see him. So, we parked in the 10 minute parking zone, ran in to the auditorium, saw him sitting on the platform, went around to the other side to get a better view (though we were in the balcony as it was, so we were still pretty far away!), then had to leave so we could get to work on time. But...it was a thrill!

How fun? The 80s. Weren't they the good ol' days?!?! I remember coming home from school, turning on the TV to watch Growing Pains and loving it! I had posters of Kirk Cameron hanging on the walls in my room. Silly, huh? I think I actually had this one - I just found it on the internet. I'm sure if you're a girl reading this, you had SOMEONE's poster on your wall - Jordan from the New Kids on the Block? Andre Agassi was my sister's big heart throb. What about Tom Cruise? Well, mine was Kirk Cameron. There's just something about the 80s. Good days, weren't they? Fun, carefree... Hope this blog takes you back to some good memories of your childhood (if you're close to my age) and growing up in the 80s!!

It's really cool how the Lord has made this once well-known-for-his-acting film star and put a passion in him for evangelism. Kirk Cameron and his friend now do trainings on how to share your faith. They have a website that gives great resources. It's just like God to get the attention of His creatures by introducing them to a man on TV, then changing his heart to be passionate for Eternal things and using that popular TV face to share His truth and draw men and women, boys and girls to Himself! If you'd like to hear the message Kirk Cameron challenged the students with, you can click on this link to SWBTS web page and scroll down to the September 20, 2006 list and hear it.

2 comments:

Megan said...

that makes me laugh. kirk cameron is the ONLY posted i ever had on my wall. we must have had good taste in men from an early age! todd & i have sat & watched "the way of the master" stuff on tv...pretty cool

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info on Kirk Cameron. I watched the chapel service at SWBTS and it was great.