Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Familiarty

Home. A good place to be.

A couple of weeks ago, Daniel and I battled the rain/ice storm and drove to Ruston. The purpose for our trip was to see a friend of mine from LA TECH who was having an engagement announcement party. I hadn't seen Lauren since well before I went to Egypt, so it had been at least 3 years. We went back and forth, deciding whether or not it was wise to travel in the bad weather, but I think the what kept pushing me to want to go was just a longing to be "home".

I guess when I lived in Egypt, I knew that going "home" meant an expensive plane ticket for a relatively short visit. However, now that I'm in Fort Worth, going home just means a couple of tanks of gas and a 4 hour drive. I hadn't been home since Christmas, and I was just really feeling a longing to see my parents and be in our house and see the rest of my family.

So, home we went. And it was so nice. Short, but really good to see my granny, mamaw, papaw, Seth, Vanna, and my parents. We enjoyed mamaw's mmm... mmm... good cookin' Saturday at lunch. You're mouth will water just hearing what we ate: roast beef, deer sausage (links and patties), cornbread, black-eyed peas, and mashed potatoes. OH SO GOOD!!

There's just something about familiarity. In my world that seems to be so rapidly changing - from being KIM, the free, independent spirit to becoming KIM, the partner in ministry and in life, my heart was longing for a taste of what I've always known.

Life is definitely in a mode of change for me. Some days I welcome it with open arms. Other days, I'm just a bit scared. But God revealed something to me this past week. He has been keeping me in a state of change, year by year, since I graduate from college. From Ruston to Cairo. Cairo to Lebanon. Lebanon back to Cairo, then to Morroco. And one more time back to Cairo before landing back in America. But the change didn't stop there. Ruston for 4 months, then Fort Worth. I've been here a little over a year now. It's time for another change.

God revealed to me a scripture that has been familiar to me in years past. Yet, somehow, last Friday morning when I read the passage about worry in Luke 12, it was like I had never read it before. Oh, how the Lord LOVES His creation! He said that Solomon in all of his glory didn't compare to the BEAUTY of the lillies of the field. In his gold and ornately woven robes, etc., that beauty didn't compare to God's handiwork in the fields. God loves me. He cares for me. When everything around me seems to be changing, He is not. He is consistant, constant God and Father. I am HIS creation and He is taking care of me. He is what is familiar to me. Hm...what a BEAUTIFUL GOD!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kimmie...I did the same thing. I went home for the weekend ... short trip, but worth it. I actually had a moment when I passed by your old house. My first thought was...it had a pool. Then my mind went through the memories of that place...mostly the driveway. How we would sit and solve all of life's problems in my car. Oh how we thought we had it all figured out..love and all. HA!! Little did we know! I said a special prayer for you and your new family. I prayed that y'alls house would be a place of comfort, peace, and God's amazing love. I always felt that in your parents house. I pray our house will be the same. Of course a few minutes down the road, 3 little boys screaming, CARRIE'S HOME, broke my thoughts and reality set in! Funny thing is, you are getting married on Owen's b-day! It will be a double special day! :)

auDi tHis woRld said...

Carrie Claire...yes we DID think we had all of life and love all figured out. I'm smiling now as I think back to those conversations. Funny how God ALWAYS knows better than we do. Comforting as well.

Thanks for the prayers. And thanks for the sweet compliment about my family's home.

Owen's big day and ours as well. HOW GREAT!! It'll mean you never have an excuse to forget my anniversary! ;-)

Mallory said...

Hi Kim!! When you are posting a new blog, you click the "link" button (the one with a globe) in the top bar and type the web address to which you want to link the word(s). Let me know if that's not clear. Have a GREAT birthday tomorrow!

Love,
Amy