Tuesday, February 07, 2006

We Dream of This Day From the Time We're Little Girls!!!

Last week was a busy week and at the end of it, I whined to Daniel about not feeling like we had gotten much one-on-one time together. He suggested we spend the day together Monday since we both have Mondays fairly free. I thought it was a great idea!

Little did I know, I walked perfectly in to the plan he had for that day. And my whining just made it all that more natural for him to suggest that we spend the day together.

The plan was to come over around 11 and go to the Botanic Gardens, here in Fort Worth. It's a nice place. We were going to have a picnic, walk around the gardens. We've gone before. Didn't seem too out of the ordinary. So, we get out of the car, spent some leisure time walking around, talking, taking random pictures. He says he wants to walk through the woods, so off we go. As we get off the beaten path, he tells me he wants to tell me a story. The story went something like this:

"Kim, back before we started dating, I came out here to spend some time with God. During that time I was asking Him about you and whether or not I should pursue you. I had some reservations because of your heart for Egypt and my heart for Turkey and I wasn't sure we were going in the same direction. So, I asked the Lord. I didn't want to pursue you unless this was going to be from Him. I felt as clear as I'd ever felt before that the Lord spoke to me at that time and said, 'Daniel, you're not expecting to hear from me. You're expecting to come here, talk with me about this, and feel peace that you've done so, but you're not really expecting to hear from me.' I thought for a minute. He was right. I guess I wasn't. Then He continued, almost like a dare and said, 'Go ahead, ask Me anything and see if I'll answer you.' So, I thought I'd swing for the fences. I asked, 'God, is she the one I'll spend my life with?' And I closed my eyes and got this sense of God smiling down on me and heard this resounding, 'YES!' I sat there for a minute, kind of expecting my mind to talk me out of all of this, but there was nothing. Nothing but peace."

As he got to this part of the story, we were walking up to a fallen tree limb that had made a natural bench in the middle of the woods. We sat down there, and he continued, "That was the day that we had the teachers' meeting at Catholic Charities." That evening before we left the meeting Daniel and I were talking and he was holding a big acorn. Before we were leaving he made a comment about the big acorns he had seen that day at the gardens. He non-chalantly said, "Do you want this?" and handed me the acorn. I took it, put it in the cup holder in my car and to this day, the acorn sits in my car. Several times I've looked at it and laughed, thinking, "Why in the world have I kept this acorn?" I've thought about trashing it on days when I've cleaned out my car, but I never have. So, yesterday as we sat on the log, Daniel continued by saying,

"I've never told you this story before and I thought that it would be appropriate to bring you here and tell you this story." He then reached down, picked an acorn up from off of the ground, got down on one knee in front of me, opened up the acorn and I sat there, my face painted with a huge smile, as I my eyes glanced back and forth from his face to his hands which were holding a cotton-stuffed acorn with a beautiful diamond ring setting inside, and listening to him say, "Kim, I have one chance to be the most outrageously happy man in the world, so I'm taking it now. Kimberly Ann Hood, will you marry me?"

My response was, "Of course I will!!!" And there came Joshua, his brother, running out of the woods with a dozen roses and a poem Daniel had written me in one hand and a camera in the other. (He had been the guardian of the ring while Daniel and I walked around the gardens, protecting the ring from any anxious squirrel who might have scurried off with it!!!)

What a GREAT day!!!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'M THE FIRST COMMENT!!!!

and i quote:
'kim kim, when are you going to marry him him??'
i walked into astronomy class to hear adana sing 'guess who's engaged??' and i KNEEEEEEEEEEEEEW IT!!!!!!!!!!! lady. after talking to you Saturday night and seeing the two of you worship at mandate, and witnessing how beautiful the two of you guys relationship is with the Lord, i am SO SO.. SOO SOSOSOSO SO SOOSOO SOOOOOOOOO HAPPY! congrats kim kin =)

<3

Mallory said...

congratulations, Kim!!! Marriage is a WONDERFUL thing that I know you will treasure- the engagement and planning is fun too! You and Ash will have lots of fun being engaged at the same time. Our prayers are with you and Daniel as you prepare for the wedding!! Love to you- Amy

Senegal Daily said...

Ooh! I have chills reading your story!!

So seriously, did anyone see this coming? I mean, I am totally shocked. (Ha ha)

Keep us posted as things come together for the wedding and after. I'm so excited for you both!!

Love, K

Anonymous said...

My Kimmy--I am so excited for you! Love is a WONDERFUL thing when the Lord puts 2 people together. Treausre this time. As you plan the wedding, never lose sight of the precious committment you are planning for. I love you and am thankful for Daniel....he's a lucky guy!!!

elly said...

Congratulations girl! How exciting! And how fun for you and Ashley to be planning weddings at the same time! Daniel sounds like a wonderful guy, I am thrilled for you!!!!! When is the big day?

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS KIM!

I am very happy that you have found Mr. Right!! Wishing you the best - keep us posted!

Love ya,
Mindy

Anonymous said...

Kim,
I am so happy for you! How perfect your story is and I know you are so thrilled. Everything is worth waiting for and you deserve the absolute best. Congrats again!!!!

Suzanne Dyson Tyler

Nicole said...

Kim! Congratulations! I'm so excited for you and Daniel! I've been keeping up from afar (through Ryan, and Rebecca & Brent) and hearing snippets of how you and Daniel are perfect for each other. I'm glad it's official now! Congratulations!

E.L. said...

Ok, so I was in a meeting when I received the email, and I wasn't going to open it, but with that subject line, how could I not?? When i read it I couldn't prevent the inevitable "yaaay!!" out loud ;-). Oops!! I am SOO happy for you. I love you so much, and I can't wait to meet Daniel!!

Ryan said...

All I can say is "YES!!!" I am so happy for both of you, Adriane and I knew when we ate dinner with you guys that Daniel had found the one!! It's great! I love you both and can't wait until us four can spend lots of fun times together. many many blessings!

Anonymous said...

Kim! Congrats! I KNOW you will be so happy! And I am SO happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What a sweet story you will have to tell your kids in the future :-) I'm really happy for you guys.

Smith + Long said...

Congratulations Kim! That is so exciting....I am really happy for you too....

Jess said...

Yay!! I'm so thrilled for you Kim!! Congratulations!!! (I miss you & can't wait to meet Daniel!)

Anonymous said...

KIMMY HOOD! How incredible. I am so happy for you, sweetie. And now for the obligatory question, have y'all set a date??!! :)

Kim said...

Congratulations, Kim! It was definitely a great day ... I also got engaged on Monday! How fun!

Mandy B Stenberg said...

Congrats Kim and Daniel!

Unknown said...

Congrats, Kim- that is the sweetest story EVER!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! You and Daniel are great together. I'll take care of your mom, so call if you need any back-up. ; ) Don't want to miss a thing, so let's get started making this wedding happen!!

Love ya!
Becky

Mandy said...

Congratulations, Kimmy! I am so happy for you and Daniel. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Kim (and Daniel)!

Daniel called me on Feb. 7th (which happens to be my birthday, so that made it even more special for me) to tell me of his engagement with you. I am delighted but not surprised. Having had the pleasure and privilege of hosting lunch for the two of you at my place in MD while you were visiting his family at Christmas, I could see the mutual love our heavenly Father has birthed in your hearts to weld the two of you together. And as I said to Daniel in the kitchen with you listening, I think he has found someone just as zany as he is. The two of you make an incredible couple.

Daniel has been one of my closest friends for several years (and his oldest brother my best friend for even longer), so I am particularly delighted for him. He waited on God, and found the very best mate for him. But I am equally delighted for you, for you have done the same, and with the same wonderful result. Daniel is like his namesake in the Old Testament--one of God's choicest men alive today.

I think it is also very special that his brother Josh could play the role he did in how Daniel surprised you with the ring hidden in the acorn. It has well been said that one marries a family, not just a person. The Audi family is a fine family to marry. I wish the two of you the most fabulous blessings that a creative God can bestow upon two of the most creative persons I've ever met.

With love always,
Don

Anonymous said...

Kim,

Michael, Paige, the whole Shreveport crew and I are thrilled for you. I told Michael he was the one because of the sparkle I saw in your eyes at the marathon. All our love.

Heather Harper Newton

HipShooter said...

Yea for you guys, Kimmy!!!
Much love-
L&J