Monday, June 18, 2007

influenced by godliness.

Have you ever been around someone who exudes godliness? - he/she is not legalistic. not a "goody, goody". not judgmental. not condemning...godly - love flows from that person. grace. gentleness. self-control. wisdom. discernment. And you are drawn to that person.

Six years ago I was an intern at Germantown Baptist Church and a man named Tommy Spencer was one of the youth ministers. I was so influenced by his wife that summer. Her love for the Lord was so radiant, so attractive. I wanted to be like her - totally fun and "in" but gentle and loving, full of scripture, full of wisdom. A great listener, a great advice giver. And so very real. A dictionary definition for godly is "having great reverence for God." Lana has great reverence for God for sure and she is definitely a precious example of what godliness can look like. Well, I realized just this morning as I was journaling that his wife was only a year older than me when I first met her 6 years ago. I'm no where near where she was then, but I'm pursuing that. I'm convinced that genuine godliness draws others to the Lord. I'm far from it, but I want to be there.

Lana and her incredibly-spiritually-mature-for-her-age-of-14 daughter, Paige, spent Friday and Saturday with us this past weekend. Listening to them talk about life, about God was great and my spirit was so refreshed! Ah...it's so nice to be with ones who point you to Jesus, isn't it?!?!?

2 comments:

Speirs Family said...

Hey Kim,

Just wanted to let you know that that was so encouraging to hear. I want to be that way too!!! Kim, you are so godly and I aspire to be as you are. Thanks for always being such a challenge to me.

Kelly Speirs

auDi tHis woRld said...

Thanks, girl. You are so sweet and encouraging. Bless you and Tommy! Keep that boy smilin'!!!