Saturday, April 05, 2008

Easter traditions

I think I've reverted back to being a child...or, maybe I never grew out of being one. Either way, I still enjoy painting Easter eggs and going on Easter egg hunts and all of the fun traditions of Easter weekend. Of course, I know the weeekend is really about celebrating Jesus. And we also did that!

Traditionally my family has a big get-together in Ruston on Easter weekend, but Daniel and I had decided that we'd done enough traveling from January to the beginning of March that we didn't think returning to Ruston for Easter would prove to be restful for us. So, we forfeited the Easter egg hunt and picnic at Uncle Sidney's and enjoyed a long, relaxing 4-day weekend here in Fort Worth. Part of that weekend included having a co-worker and her husband over for lunch on Saturday.


Daniel and I had been wanting to invite Khadra and her husband over for a while and finally got around to making the time to do it. It just so happened to be Easter weekend. We had never met Khadra's husband before and were looking forward to meeting him. He is Somali but grew up in Iraq and also lived in Germany for quite some time. Boy did he have stories to tell. Khadra had told me that he loves traditions and cultures, so we thought that we'd celebrate some Easter traditions with them during their visit.


After our picnic on the blanket outside Khadra and I came inside to prepare the eggs for dying, and the boys stayed outside and Daniel learned much about Mahmoud as he told him stories of his life in Iraq and in Germany. Then, we took turns coloring the eggs with a clear crayon and dying them. Mahmoud suggested to put them back in the carton in the shape of a cross since we were celebrating Easter - nice cross, huh? Then Mahmoud suggested that we hide the eggs for each other and have a mini-egg hunt. So Daniel and I hid some eggs and Khadra and Mahmoud found them. Then, they returned the favor for us. Don't we know how to have fun!?!?!!?

No comments: