Wednesday, August 17, 2005

"FeErEee! DagAstta!"

"Look! Listen!" These are 2 Somali words I have learned in the past month and a half of teaching English to a class of 14 Somalis. I'm writing tonight mostly to express how GREAT is our God! He has given me an amazing LOVE for my students. No matter how bad my day has gone, everything changes when I walk in the door of their home. I am always greeted at the door by at least one of the children...most of the time, though, all 4 of the younger ones meet me at the door. They greet me with a kiss on my hand and I, in turn kiss theirs. This is the greeting in Somalia between women and between children and adults.

I find inexpressible joy being with my students. We laugh a lot. Usually there are a few children coming in and out of the lessons - we have our lesson in the family's living room of their apartment. Just today as my friend and I were coming home from the lesson, we thanked the Lord for putting us in the lives of these Somalis. Surely nothing happens by accident. Everything is providential. My prayer is that God will do supernatural things in the lives of my students and that they in turn would recognize that it is Him who is actively involved in their lives. My prayer is that they would know JC as their Redeemer, and not just see Him as another prophet. My prayer is that Father would give them dreams and visions of Himself. As you read this...would you pray these things too? Bless you as you bless others in the name of JC!

2 comments:

auDi tHis woRld said...

No...I'm not in Somalia. My students are actually adult refugees, ages 19 - 50. They have been in the States for almost 2 months. They had previously been in a refugee camp in Kenya for 14 years. (They moved to Kenya from Somalia when the war began in 1991.)

Thanks for the new vocabulary! How do you know Urdu/Hindi?

Where are you from?

Bless you

auDi tHis woRld said...

Hey Saaed,

Irish/Pakistani/Kashmiri....hmmmmm...so, do you know Arabic or no?

I've traveled to Turkey for a month, Kenya for a month, Lebanon for 2 months, Morocco for 3 months, and I lived in Egypt for almost 2 years. It's been amazing - all doors opened up by the Father.

My favorite???? I'd have to say Egypt - for no particular reason of the country's landscape or sites, but for the reason that a portion of my heart is there with friends that God has really used in my life to pour out His love and blessings over me. I have both Muslim and Christian friends there who I would consider some of my closest friends. I miss that place and pray that I'll call it home again one day - at least for a portion of my life...so, there you have it - MISR (that's Egypt in Arabic, if you don't know Arabic.)