Thursday, January 26, 2006

Old Friends

Do you know the saying, "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold?" I was reminded tonight of just how precious are the friends of mine with whom I share some history. Libby came to Dallas for a conference and Katie and I got to go out to dinner with her.


Libby was a big part of the reason I grew spiritually during my college years. We were prayer partners my junior year of college. We found the most random places to sit together and pray - in the graveyard, on the front steps of my church sitting amongst a swarm of dead crickets (remember that plague that came around 1999?), just to name a couple of the strangest! The Lord used her to challenge my faith and to sharpen me as a woman of Him. Great girl. Great faith. Deep faith. Precious spirit. It was such a refreshing time tonight with both her and Katie.

Katie and I became friends the weekend we went to the outlet mall about 15 miles from Ruston. After our shopping adventure, she graciously went with me to see my great-great Uncle Sidney who was in the nursing home in that town. "What a great girl," I thought!! For her to so willingly accompany me to a nursing home? She won BIG POINTS in the friend category and from then on, we were buddies!!! Many laughs with Katie. Great girl. Great friend. Great listener and empathizer!

I'm so thankful for these two women. God has such a way of encouraging my heart and reconnecting me. There is something about people with whom you have a history. Since I moved to Egypt in 2002 and to Fort Worth in 2005, I have had numerous new friends. Oh...but the mmmm....mmmm...good feeling of those friendships of antiquity! Thank you, Jesus!

No comments: