Monday, October 20, 2008

FIREPROOF

Daniel and I went to the matinee yesterday to see FIREPROOF. Wow. Granted, I'm female, pregnant, and emotional on a regular basis, but this movie was so touching. If you have yet to see it, I highly recommend it. The storyline is of a couple who don't know Jesus and whose marriage is absolutely falling apart. I walked away from the movie thinking, "I know this must be a reality for some marriages - yelling and arguing and thoughts of divorce. I am so incredibly thankful that my Daniel has never once raised his voice at me. And that the dynamics of the marriage in the movie is very foreign to us. But, I'm sobered by the fact that it is a reality for some, maybe even for some of my friends. God, have mercy!"



The movie is really a beautiful story. There is so much in its content. And the message of Jesus - His redemption and His plan for marriage - is clear. The movie is blatently evangelistic without seeming awkward. Fighting over every little thing, Caleb (Kirk Cameron) and his wife, Catherine (Erin Bethea), are on the verge of signing divorce papers when Caleb's father and coworkers urge him to approach his marriage in the same way he fights vicious flames. When Caleb's father gives him the "Love Dare," a 40-day guide to religiously motivated marriage help, Caleb begins a difficult journey to reclaim his wife, and in the process, his faith in God. The film examines both the ups and inevitable downs of married life, offering faith as a prescription for saving what may at first glance appears to have already failed. If you haven't seen the movie yet, I highly recommend it. You will be touched.

1 comment:

Robin said...

clay and i saw the movie last sunday. we are still talking about it today! we were so impressed with how evangelical it's presentation was. great movie!